The objective for Scandinavian Real Heart is to develop a type of heart pump , a total artificial heart (TAH), with better function than those available on the market. The TAH shall primarily be used as a transitional solution for patients waiting for a heart transplant, a bridge-to-transplant (BTT) therapy. The basic idea is that the pump shall function as much like the natural heart as possible.
The TAH consists of an outer shell of Polyether Ether Ketone (PEEK), a biocompatible material (accepted by the body). The heart valves are of the same type that have been used in traditional heart surgery for decades. The external energy source consists of a battery belt that is complemented by a small rechargeable battery in the controller. During development, Scandinavian Real Heart has met many challenges. We have developed a series of prototypes, tested them and gradually solved one challenge after the other. With model 11 we have achieved the following:
- A silent TAH
- A pressure balance similar to the natural heart, meaning that left heart has higher pressure than the right heart.
- Achieved a pump capacity, pressure and heart rate similar to the natural heart
- During pre-clinical testing verified normal blood circulation in an animal body
- Developed an electric motor for the operation of the heart pump
- Achieved a size that can be adapted to existing space in chest
- Developed simple connections to the vessels and atria
- Partnerships with leading researchers and specialists
During the last 10 years, Scandinavian Real Heart has developed a network of specialists in thoracic surgery, physiology, materials, medical technology, energy technology, motor and motor control. The company has also initiated collaborations with leading heart surgeons.